What is a QR code?
A QR (Quick Response) code is a 2D barcode that can be scanned using a Smartphone (e.g. iPhone, Blackberry, Android) and other compatible devices. QR codes are becoming increasingly popular in the UK, and there are lots of ways they can help direct more traffic to your website
Here's what a QR code looks like
So how does it work?
Using websites as an example, you can create a QR code using readily available software (you can search online for options), which once scanned takes Smartphone users straight to your website or landing page.
All your customers need to do is point their phone over the QR code* and they will get directed to the page you have chosen. That could be a simple landing page that gives more information about a particular product or service you offer, or your main website.
How can I use QR codes in my business?
There are plenty of ways you can make use of QR codes, here are a few ideas:
- Direct customers to your main website.
- Create a separate landing page so that you can draw customers attention to specific products/services or prices and promotions.
- Promote an upcoming event.
- Promote your social network channels such as facebook, twitter & YouTube.
As the QR code takes consumers directly to a web page, you have the flexibility to update the content that sits on this page with new products/services, prices and offers throughout the year, this flexibility cannot be achieved in an advertisement that has a print life of 12 months, or a flyer which you still have stock of.
A few facts on Smartphone usage (i):
- 55% of people go online via their Smartphone everyday
- 52% use a Smartphone as a quick source of information for an immediate answer
- 45% of people use a Smartphone during their shopping process
QR Codes can help you tap into this market and generate more leads to your business.
Information source: Ipsos MediaCT report of 2,000 online adults 2011
*The Smartphone must have a barcode scanner application installed to be able to read the QR Code. Most of these can be downloaded for free, for example Red Laser, Barcode Scanner, QR Scanner)
Did you know…. You can now include a QR code in printed advertisements in The Phone Book at no extra cost?