You might want to just see Tweets from a particular group of people such as your close Twitter friends, Tweets from people you network with, or Tweets from celebrities you follow.
Here is an example of how you might use a list on Twitter:
- You are a mum who runs an online business selling shabby chic products
- You follow other mums who also run their own online businesses and you liaise and network with them on a regular basis
- In order to keep track of Tweets, only for this specific group of people, you create a list called 'Online Business Mums’
- When you select this list, you can see all Tweets from the people you have added to it...
Remember though, unless you specify your list is 'private' the person you have chosen to add to a list will be able to see the list name – so name your lists with caution. Public lists can be seen by any one of your followers and they can subscribe to any public lists that you create.
How to create a list
- To create a list you need to ensure you are in your profile page on Twitter. From here, select the lists tab on the left and then 'Create list' (see image below):
- Give your list a name and a description and decide if you want the list to be public or private.
- Now find some people to add to your list. You can add people to your list by clicking on one of their Tweets and selecting 'Add or remove from lists...' (as below):
As well as creating your own lists, you can see which lists you are a member of (meaning someone who follows you has added you to a list they have created). You cannot add yourself to other people’s lists – only the creator of the list can add people.
You may wish to subscribe to some of the lists of which you are a member by clicking the 'Subscribe' button (as shown below):
To view Tweets from the subscribed lists of people, go to your profile and select 'Lists' and then click on the list of interest.
As you are navigating around Twitter, it is well worth visiting the profiles of some of the people that influence you to see if they have any lists you can subscribe to – it’s a great way to find relevant people to follow and you will find as you become more influential and popular on Twitter you will be included on lists that other people create.